If you’re a pound cake and blueberry lover, then this Blueberry Pound Cake is for you. It’s a moist, dense, buttery cake packed with plump, juicy blueberries.
Topped with crunchy sparkling sugar. (Reminds me of the famous Jordan Marsh Blueberry Muffins.) Blueberry picking season is just around the corner in New England and I’m so excited.
A blueberry pound cake is New England summer at its finest and delicious cakes like this are served in Maine restaurants all summer long.My Jon loves all things blueberry. And I remember as kids we used to buy blueberry Jelly Belly jelly beans, share the whole bag in one sitting.
Not eating so many jelly bellies these days in our forties… We like fresh blueberries best, pick pounds and pounds of New Hampshire blueberries every July.
Mostly eat ’em straight. Put ’em on Baked Oatmeal. Blueberry jam. Blueberry cobbler. Even homemade blueberry ice-cream. But we especially love eating this delicious Blueberry Pound Cake. You will too.
This recipe calls for pure vanilla bean extract, fresh eggs, real butter and blueberries!
Use fresh or frozen blueberries in this recipe. Though fresh blueberries keep the batter whiter, a nice contrast with the bright berries.
If you have little kids or grandkids, this wonderful Blueberries for Sal book is a fun Maine read while the cake bakes. (Robert McCloskey also authored Make Way for Ducklings, one of my all time favorite children’s books set in Boston.)
Cake recipes can be tricky, but this has gotta be one of the easiest cakes I’ve ever baked. There are no special tricks or temperature settings. It always turns out a beautiful golden brown, looks gorgeous with the sparkling white sugar on top. Grab your fork!
Blueberry Pound Cake
- 1 pint blueberries washed and drained
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon sparkling white sugar or turbinado sugar
- optional: serve with whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Toss washed, drained blueberries with 1/4 cup flour, set aside.
- Sift remaining flour with baking powder and salt, set aside.
- Separately in mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together with hand or stand mixer.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla and beat until fluffy.
- Fold dry ingredients (by hand) into batter until well blended.
- Gently stir in berries.
- Pour into greased and floured 10" tube pan.
- Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sparkling white sugar or turbinado sugar.
- Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes or until cake is golden brown and tests done.
- Cool cake in tube pan for 10 minutes.
- Use a sharp knife to carefully separate cake from the edges of the pan and around the tube in the middle.
- (If it's a 2-piece tube pan - also use the knife to separate the the cake from the bottom of the pan.)
- Carefully remove the cake from pan and cool on a baking rack.
A fresh slice of Blueberry Pound Cake is delicious served with Triple Easy Homemade Lemonade!
You may also enjoy: Raspberry Peach Almond Shortbread