This keto-friendly Cream of Broccoli Soup Recipe is perfect if you’re looking for a rich and creamy low-carb broccoli soup that’s easy to make with just a few ingredients on hand. It incorporates frozen chopped broccoli, so no chopping necessary! Cream cheese and heavy cream make it the creamiest broccoli soup ever.
I sampled this soup for the first time when our son Jonathan was born over twenty years ago. A kind friend (also a great cook!) brought it over for dinner, and we’ve been in love with this soup ever since.
This Cream of Broccoli Soup Recipe also fits perfectly into a keto diet. If you’re unfamiliar with the keto diet, it relies heavily on good fats, minimal protein and low carbs daily.
(Good fats on the keto diet are considered to be saturated fats, monounsaturated fats, natural trans fats and natural polyunsaturated fats. More info. here!) So this broccoli soup is naturally a tasty, filling and nutritious option that fits the bill.
Use an immersion blender if you have one
So last week I finally jumped on the band wagon and picked up an immersion blender. Do you have one of these kitchen wonders yet? It’s so much fun, makes quick work of blending and emulsifying, and it wasn’t very expensive.
I found my heavy duty immersion blender on Amazon with excellent ratings and it’s lived up to my every expectation.
So far I’ve used it to make homemade mayonnaise (with avocado oil!), homemade ranch dressing, French toast, a creamy bacon cauliflower cheese soup and this Cream of Broccoli Soup. An immersion blender is a great invention and I only wish I hadn’t waited so long to get one.
(You can also easily make this soup with a regular countertop blender too.)
Directions to make this keto-friendly Cream of Broccoli Soup Recipe are so simple.
Chop up your green onions and sauté them in a bit of butter.
- Add cubed cream cheese and heavy cream (or half and half).
- Stir over low heat until cream cheese is completely melted.
- Stir in chicken broth and add half of chopped broccoli.
- Process soup until creamy, with an immersion blender or a countertop blender.
- Add remaining chopped broccoli.
- Stir in seasonings.
- Cook on low until broccoli is tender.
Serve hot and garnish with toasted almonds if desired. That’s all for now, folks!!!
Tips for Making Cream of Broccoli Soup:
- Start with your cream cheese at room temperature rather than straight from the refrigerator. It will melt easier at room temperature.
- Thaw the broccoli ahead of time.
- Use chopped frozen broccoli to save yourself a lot of chopping work!
- Use an immersion blender or process in a countertop blender.
- If you prefer a smoother soup, process soup with all broccoli added.
- Cook over low heat just until broccoli is tender.
- Absolutely do not boil! (The soup will separate and the texture will be ruined.) Always keep this soup on low or medium low heat just to be safe.
Other broccoli recipes you may enjoy: Broccoli Bacon Salad, Cheesy Broccoli Rice and Beef and Broccoli Recipe .
Keto Cream of Broccoli Soup Recipe
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 32 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 4 cups half and half or heavy cream
- 4 cups organic sugar-free chicken broth
- 6 10 ounce boxes frozen, chopped broccoli, thawed
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- optional: toasted slivered almonds for garnish
- Keep in mind that during this whole process you don't want the soup to boil. (This can cause it to separate and ruin the texture.)
- Saute onions in butter in a large saucepan or Dutch oven.
- Cube cream cheese.
- Add cubed cream cheese and heavy cream or half and half to green onions.
- Stir over low heat until the cream cheese is melted.
- Stir in chicken broth.
- Add half of the chopped broccoli.
- Process soup with an immersion blender or in a countertop blender until smooth.
- Stir in lemon juice and seasonings.
- Add remaining chopped broccoli.
- Cook over low heat until frozen broccoli is tender.
- Garnish each bowl with toasted almonds and fresh herbs if desired.
You may also like this soup : Simon Pearce Vermont Cheddar Cheese Soup
Thanks for this recipe! I think I had it once upon a time, but had forgotten it. The timing is perfect – I just started keto. I need that bacon cauliflower soup recipe, too!
Allie-Thank you for reminding me of this wonderful soup and highlighting that it’s keto-friendly! Also, I made your peach sangria for a bridal shower last weekend and it was a huge hit! Love your site:) Hugs to all the Taylors:)
I bet you could have cheese cake too! Just don’t eat the crust. Or make it crustless!! Ok….. this diet is unbelievable! The soup looks delish, the pictures are gorgeous and I love that turquoise bowl with the dots. I have old glasses that look like that. Thank you again for another fabulous recipe!!
Susie Mandel says
I just changed the immersion blender I had on my Amazon wish list to the one you got. It’s way cheaper, too! Hopefully I will get one soon. 😉 Looking forward to making this soup, and even more, eating it!
I’ve actually never heard of this before, but it looks right up my alley!! I have a feeling I could eat WAY too much of this!!
A perfect looking soup! I am posting a creamy broccoli soup tomorrow, but it is a totally different one. 🙂
tank trouble says
Thanks for your article! I have read through some similar topics! However, your post has given me a very special impression, unlike other posts.
I hope you continue to have valuable articles like this or more to share with everyone!
This broccoli soup is so creamy! I just tried and my family enjoyed it. Thank you so much for sharing.
So glad you enjoyed Christine!
How many net carbs are in a serving