Rich and creamy Simon Pearce Vermont Cheddar Soup is a New England favorite. Following is the original recipe from Simon Pearce Restaurant in Quechee, VT. Read on to learn more about Simon Pearce Glass blowing and how to make this delicious cheese soup at home.
If you’ve never been to New England before and you’re thinking of a visit, add Simon Pearce Glass in Quechee, Vermont to your bucket list. It’s a beautiful experience in every sense of the word.
Watch live glass blowing in the basement.
Shop sparkling treasures on the gorgeous showroom floor.
Dine in the five star restaurant overlooking the covered bridge and falls. (And be sure to order a creamy bowl of Simon Pearce Vermont Cheddar Soup!)
Simon Pearce Restaurant, located in this 1800’s mill, is where I first tasted Simon Pearce Vermont Cheddar Soup. Such a flavorful cheddar cheese soup, the recipe I’m sharing today is world famous.
Melt butter in a large stockpot. Sauté garlic and onion, then whisk in flour, making a roux. Stir in chicken stock and season with fresh thyme and spices. Add grated Cabot sharp cheddar cheese, cream and half and half.
While this isn’t a diet recipe, Simon Pearce Vermont Cheddar Soup is the ideal creamy main dish soup for a satisfying New England lunch or supper after coming in from the cold.
Read my post Simon Pearce Glass for more pictures and information about this fascinating destination.
Simon Pearce Vermont Cheddar Cheese Soup
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3 quarts chicken stock
- 1 pound Sharp Cheddar Cheese grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup minced celery
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups half & half
- Optional: fresh thyme sprigs for garnish
- Melt butter in heavy stockpot.
- Add onions & garlic and cook 'til soft.
- Add flour to butter and onion mixture, stirring to combine well.
- Turn heat very low.
- Stir occasionally, and cook 10-15 minutes.
- Add chicken stock incrementally, stirring with whisk until smooth after each addition.
- Add chopped thyme, bay leaves and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook over medium heat 5-10 minutes more until smooth and creamy, watching closely.
- Stir in grated cheese.
- In separate saucepan, bring water to a boil.
- Add celery and carrots, cooking until just tender, about 1 minute.
- Rinse with cold water and drain well.
- Add celery and carrots to large stockpot.
- Stir in half & half and heavy cream.
- Stir soup well.
- Optional: garnish with fresh thyme sprigs
- Serve hot, but don't overheat or the soup will curdle.
You may also like: Cabot Creamery, Cabot, VT