There’s nothing quite like Old Fashioned Easy Strawberry Shortcake made with sweet, juicy fresh-picked strawberries. If strawberries are in season where you are, it’s time to grab your basket and get picking!
Homemade strawberry shortcake is simple. Like Grandma made. Dripping spoonfuls of juicy strawberries and dollops of freshly whipped cream top warm, homemade buttered biscuits.
First, slice strawberries and add some granulated sugar. You’ll need more or less sugar depending on how sweet and ripe the berries are.
Allow the berries to macerate for an hour or so with the sugar. This draws out that wonderfully sweet strawberry juice.
While the berries macerate, bake a pan of homemade biscuits. Add a few tablespoons of sugar to your traditional biscuit recipe. Or use my recipe below.
Here’s the biscuit recipe I use from the back of my Original Bakewell Cream can. (Bakewell Cream is a traditional New England powdered leavening agent that originated over 60 years ago in Maine. Bakewell Cream makes baked goods rise higher and contains no additives or aluminum. Also gluten-free. You can use Bakewell Cream in most any recipe in place of baking powder or cream of tartar.)
(If you can’t get your hands on Bakewell Cream, substitute 4 teaspoons of baking powder for the Bakewell Cream, then omit the baking soda)
Right before baking, brush biscuit tops with milk and sprinkle with crunchy sparkling white sugar or turbinado sugar.
After baking and while biscuits are still warm from the oven, slice ’em in half, place a pat of butter inside to melt.
While that butter pat melts, whip the whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla together until stiff peaks form. Assemble individual strawberry shortcakes by topping the bottom biscuit half with spoonfuls of fresh strawberries, juice and whipped cream.
Add biscuit top, more berries and a dollop of whipped cream. Yum!
I won’t say that we haven’t enjoyed strawberry shortcakefor dinner around here. And on more than one occasion too. Let’s see, strawberries = veggie/fruit. Whipped cream = dairy. Biscuit = grains. We’re good!
This Old Fashioned Easy Strawberry Shortcake is a fresh and simple strawberry dessert, perfect on the patio in summertime. You’ll have some extra biscuits, lucky you! Perfect for breakfast smothered with jam or honey.
Tips for making Strawberry Shortcake:
- Use freshly picked strawberries.
- Wash the berries right before using, they will quickly mold in the refrigerator when wet.
- Let the sliced berries macerate with sugar for about an hour.
- Use your favorite biscuit recipe and add a couple tablespoons of sugar to the recipe for great strawberry shortcake biscuits. Or use my biscuit recipe here.
- Leftover biscuits are great for breakfast the next day.
Old-Fashioned Easy Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- 1 quart fresh strawberries washed, hulled and sliced
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar or more depending on sweetness of the berries
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Bakewell Cream Biscuits:
- 4 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons Bakewell Cream
- If you can't get your hands on Bakewell Cream, substitute 4 teaspoons of baking powder for the Bakewell Cream, then omit the baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening or butter
- 1 1/2 cups cold milk
- 2-3 tablespoons crunchy sparkling white sugar or turbinado sugar
- Gently combine sliced strawberries in bowl with 1/2 cup granulated sugar.
- Let sit for an hour or so to draw out the juices.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Mix and sift flour, Bakewell Cream, baking soda, 2 tablespoons sugar and salt.
- Add shortening and mix together with pastry blender.
- Add milk all at once, and stir quickly with a fork.
- (Some flours may require a little more liquid to make a nice soft dough.)
- Turn out on a floured board and knead 5 or 6 times.
- Roll or pat dough to 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch thickness.
- Cut 8-10 biscuits with biscuit cutter.
- Brush with milk and sprinkle with crunchy sparkling white sugar or turbinado sugar.
- Bake at 475 degrees for 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat and leave in oven for 5 - 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Split each biscuit in half and place a pat of butter in the middle.
- !Whipped Cream:
- Whip cream, powdered sugar and vanilla until stiff peaks form.
- Assemble strawberry shortcakes by layering berries and whipped cream inside and on top of the biscuit.
You may also enjoy: Fresh Strawberry and Lemon Curd Angel Food Cake