I believe that summer’s really coming, so in faith I’m sharing this light and delicious Fresh Strawberry and Lemon Angel Food Cake today!
Hope you’re enjoying spring weather wherever you are. We had a somewhat mild winter here in New Hampshire. The mountains and ski resorts had a rough time making enough snow to keep up.
Then suddenly at the beginning of April the white stuff started falling from the sky. No kidding. The crocuses were blooming and green shoots were coming up everywhere, and then Mother Nature pulled that rotten April Fool’s trick on us.
Just last week we were on “spring” vacation in Vermont and got 4″ of the white stuff. Spring always takes a little longer to arrive in New England and honestly, we just roll with it. (Do we have a choice?) Layer on another pair of socks and one more sweater.
So when spring and summer finally arrive around here for real, we really celebrate. We try to get out of the kitchen and enjoy the great outdoors while we can.
That’s where this simple Fresh Strawberry and Lemon Angel Food Cake comes in. It can be made entirely from scratch, or use a purchased angel food cake and lemon curd for that quick and easy spring/summer dessert.
(Need a fast, easy recipe for homemade lemon curd? Click here for mine.) This cake is one of the prettier and fastest desserts I’ve made.
I love everything lemon in spring and summer. How ’bout you? Fresh squeezed lemonade, lemon mousse, lemon tarts, lemon bars and this airy Fresh Strawberry and Lemon Angel Food Cake.
Slice an angel cake horizontally into thirds and slather with layers of mouth puckering sweet and tart lemon curd, lemon whipping cream and luscious strawberries. Then stack the layers and top with mounds of lemon curd whipping cream and strawberries. The combination is absolutely irresistible.
This delicious cake is a show stopper and perfect for all your spring and summer entertaining. Would be delicious addition to a luncheon, brunch or tea.
Fresh Strawberry and Lemon Angel Food Cake: angel food cake layered with lemon curd, lemon cream, and fresh strawberries for a light and airy dessert.
15 minPrep Time
15 minTotal Time
- 1 angel food cake (homemade or purchased)
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups lemon curd, divided (homemade or purchased)
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, sliced
- Optional: lemon zest for garnish
- In metal mixing bowl, whip heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
- Gently stir in 1 cup lemon curd.
- Set aside.
- Slice angel food cake horizontally, into three even rounds.
- Spread 1/2 cup lemon curd, then 1/3 lemon cream mixture on two bottom cake layers only.
- Add a layer of fresh sliced strawberries on top of lemon cream.
- Stack layers on top of each other, ending with cake top.
- Dollop remaining 1/2 of lemon cream mixture on top.
- Garnish with lemon zest and sliced strawberries.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate.
Fresh Strawberry and Lemon Angel Food Cake
You may also like: Old Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake