Rosemary Garlic Oven Baked Steak Fries: crispy, flavorful, tasty, easy and nutritious. My family’s favorite way to eat a potato!
So I’m standing in the express check-out line of the grocery store several months ago. The man behind me is holding one item only, a ten pound bag of potatoes. We chit-chat for a minute, then he says:
“My dad told me as long as you have potatoes, you’ll never go hungry.”
I thought about it later, and his dad was right. I mean, think of all the fabulous ways you can eat a potato. Scalloped. Baked. Home-fried. Mashed. Grilled. Roasted. No reason to go hungry with a bag of potatoes on hand.
Hands down our favorite way to eat a potato is to make Rosemary Garlic Oven Baked Steak Fries. These fries are crispy, flavorful, tasty, easy and nutritious. Inexpensive. And they fill you up. Even a house full of boys. (I would know.)
This recipe isn’t rocket science. My recipe below serves six, but when you make these fries, just count up the number of people being served and use one potato per person, adjusting the garlic and rosemary proportionately.
Wash the potatoes, then slice into uniform wedges, leaving the skin on. (I usually slice each potato into 8 wedges unless it’s a very large potato and then I slice it into 10 or 12.) The key is to cut the potatoes uniformly so they cook evenly.
Place the potatoes in a large mixing bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Stir in minced garlic and rosemary, distributing evenly. Lay prepared potato wedges flat on a parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pop into a hot oven on the highest rack to bake. Turn once during baking so potatoes brown evenly on both sides.
Rosemary Garlic Steak Fries
- 6 large russet potatoes washed, dried and cut in uniform wedges (don't peel)
- olive oil
- 2 cloves fresh garlic minced (or more if you're a garlic lover)
- needles from 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Optional: Garnish with additional fresh rosemary sprigs
- Preheat oven to 450° and place oven baking rack on highest level.
- Place potato wedges in a large mixing bowl.
- Drizzle potatoes with olive oil and stir to coat. (Adding more olive oil if needed.)
- Stir in minced garlic, and rosemary.
- Lay potato wedges flat on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle potatoes liberally with salt.
- Place on highest oven rack in 450° oven.
- Bake approximately 15 - 25 minutes until underside of steak fries are golden brown.
- Remove from oven, and gently loosen steak fries with spatula, turning each one over.
- Bake approximately 5-10 minutes more until underside is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately, garnishing with extra rosemary sprigs if desired.
You may also like: Crunchy Asian Salad