Tender and moist, this scratch made Sour Cream Coffee Cake with pecans is the perfect coffee cake for breakfast or brunch. Sour cream and pecan streusel topping make this a five star coffee cake you’d expect to find in your local coffee shop!
Well it’s been a wonderful but freezing week here. Ever since I told you in Little Experiment about that Sour Cream Coffee Cake with pecans that our wonderful Ravelry hostess baked us on Monday, I’ve been thinking about it.
And how all my boys would love to wake up to that coffee cake this weekend. I didn’t even know if I had the ingredients on hand, but hunted in the pantry, rustled up some pecans kind southern friends sent for Christmas.
Then I was presented with a gift, a carton of farm fresh eggs this very morning. YES! Even a green one in the mix, totally made my day.
That green egg was my green light to go ahead and make this Sour Cream Coffee Cake today. It was easy to make, just ten ingredients. No surprises.
Then I thought about you. How I’d told you about it earlier this week, how dense and wonderful it tasted…. and likely your mouth was watering too. So to be fair, thought I should share it here. Hopefully you’ll have the ingredients on hand.
(Or some kind soul will show up at the door with them. Ha.) Bake this coffeecake in a bundt pan. If you don’t know what a bundt is, you’re in good company.
This coffee cake recipe comes from The Silver Palate Cookbook. “Enriched with full-color photographs in honor of its twenty-fifth anniversary, The Silver Palate Cookbook is the beloved classic that brings a new passion for food and entertaining into American homes.
Its 350 flawlessly seasoned, stand-out dishes make every occasion special, and its recipes, featuring vibrant, pure ingredients, are a pleasure to cook. Brimming with kitchen wisdom, cooking tips, information about domestic and imported ingredients, menus, quotes, and lore, this timeless book feels as fresh and exciting as the day it was first published.” Buy one here: Silver Palate Cookbook
Sour-Cream Coffee Cake
- 1 cup sweet butter 2 sticks
- 2 3/4 cups granulated sugar divided
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups Hood sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups shelled pecans coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 10 inch bundt pan and lightly dust the inside with flour.
- Cream together butter and 2 cups of the sugar.
- Add eggs, blending well, then sour cream and vanilla.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Fold dry ingredients into the creamed mixture, and beat until just blended. Don't overbeat.
- In a separate bowl, mix remaining 3/4 cup sugar with pecans and cinnamon.
- Pour half of the batter into the bundt pan.
- Sprinkle with half of the pecan and sugar mixture.
- Add remaining batter and top with the rest of the pecan mixture.
- Set on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 55 minutes at 350° or until cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm.
Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Here’s another favorite coffee cake recipe: Jewish Coffee Cake