Naturally salty, crunchy, low carb and addictive: Easy Baked Parmesan Cheese Crisps. You’ll love these easy to make oven-baked cheese crisps. Shredded parmesan and just 3-5 minutes in the oven. Pair a few of these keto-friendly, scrumptious crisps with chowder and a salad or add them to your favorite veggie tray or appetizer board.
We just had an ice storm in New Hampshire today. Every leaf and branch down to the tiniest twig is coated in thick ice. Our flag is completely stiff. You’d have thought school would be cancelled, but you’d have thought wrong because there was just a two hour delay.
What weather forecasters couldn’t know was that the temperatures wouldn’t rise as predicted. The freezing rain fell in sheets and the ice kept forming. It was a scary scene for many school buses. I saw footage of a MA bus full of children sliding backwards down a steep, slick hill in a neighborhood. It did crash, but thankfully no one was injured. Scary stuff.
As the storm raged outside today, I whipped up this simple, low carb snack: Easy Baked Parmesan Cheese Crisps. Around here, we’re cutting down on sugar and carbs. Paying penance for a delicious holiday season just a few weeks ago. (Seems like a lifetime.) Funny how that goes. You play, you pay. Lol.
I don’t know if you’ve heard much about the ketogenic diet, but it’s basically cutting out carbohydrates and sugars which the body tends to store for energy. On the keto diet, you eat more protein and fresh veggies (but not starchy ones like potatoes, carrots and butternut squash) which are used directly by the body for energy.
We’re not doing keto strictly, just cutting down on sugar and carbs where we can. We’re doing it for weight loss purposes but also for controlling blood sugar. Jon’s mom is diabetic and my maternal grandmother was also. We’re experimenting to find low carb snack options that are fast and easy.
That’s where these delicious cheese crisps come in. Mound coarsely grated parmesan cheese on a parchment lined baking sheet. Grate your own parmesan or buy it already grated. (Don’t use the powdery, finely grated parmesan cheese that you sprinkle from a shaker.)
Bake Easy Baked Parmesan Cheese Crisps in a 400° oven for 4-5 minutes, until the edges are just turning golden brown.
Cool the Baked Parmesan Cheese Crisps for a few minutes. When cool and crispy, serve as a snack or a quick, delicious nibble with soup or salad. Store in a tightly sealed container at room temperature.
I’ve tried making cheese crisps with different shredded cheeses. Harder cheeses like parmesan yield a crispier cheese crisp when cooled. Softer cheeses like gouda yield a softer, flexible “crisp”. Both are delicious, just different. Experiment with different cheeses to make your favorite oven baked cheese crisps.
Tips for Making Easy Baked Parmesan Cheese Crisps:
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use coarsely grated parmesan cheese (not the powdery, finely grated parmesan you sprinkle from a shaker).
- Save time and buy parmesan already grated in the refrigerated section at your grocery store.
- After baking, cool cheese crisps completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Serve alongside soup and salad or enjoy solo as a low carb snack.
Easy Baked Parmesan Cheese Crisps Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups 5 ounces coarsely grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mound rounded tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese onto parchment-lined baking sheet, spaced at least 1/2 inch apart.
- Bake for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from oven when edges are just turning golden brown.
- Cool completely.
- Serve alongside soup or salad, or as a low carb snack.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
You may also like: Hot Feta Artichoke & Sun-Dried Tomato Dip