Chicken Enchilada Soup has to be one of the most satisfying and flavorful soup recipes in my recipe box. It’s also the one I’ve passed on most through the years. Chicken Enchilada Soup is perfect for these frigid days we’re having. Wish I could say I wrote the recipe, but I didn’t. And I don’t know who did. This recipe came to me by way of my Aunt M. many years ago. (We all thank you Aunt M!) It’s supposedly the knockoff recipe of the Chili’s Restaurant Chicken Enchilada Soup. I don’t know if that’s true. (If you make this soup and have had Chili’s Chicken Enchilada Soup, do let me know if it’s comparable.)
The base of this soup is made from Mexican corn flour (masa harina). It definitely has that Mexican flavor. It’s the cumin. And garlic. And onions. Mmmmmm. How ’bout that cheese? Ooooo! It just gets better and better. I’ve never met anyone who didn’t love this soup. This is a main dish soup, great with crusty bread and a salad. I often double this recipe for parties and group events.
Chicken Enchilada Soup: easy to make, company worthy. You’ll spend lots of time passing out this recipe. (Or just send ’em here!)
Let’s talk soup today. If you’ve tasted this Chicken Enchilada Soup, please weigh in (no scales involved!) Let folks around the country know how you like it.
Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/8 cup chicken bouillon granules or bouillon cubes
- 1 1/2 cups diced yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 - 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup masa harina Mexican corn flour
- 2 quarts 8 cups water
- 1 cup stewed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 pounds cooked shredded chicken
- 4 ounces American or Velveeta cheese cheddar would be good too!
- Place oil, bouillon, onion and spices in large soup pot.
- Saute until onions are soft and clear, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic.
- Separately, place 1 quart water in blender.
- Add in masa harina and briefly blend together.
- Add masa harina mixture to the soup pot along with remaining quart of water.
- Bring to a boil, carefully stirring, as the masa harina likes to stick to the bottom.
- Boil for several minutes.
- Add in the tomatoes.
- Add cheese and stir 'til it melts.
- Add in shredded chicken.
- Heat thoroughly and serve.