Caprese Pesto Flatbread: garden fresh basil pesto, tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and drizzle of balsamic vinegar top a purchased flatbread for an easy & flavorful flatbread pizza.
Well I hope you’re well today. I am, thank you. 🙂 Today we’re talking about Caprese Pesto Flatbread. Quick and easy.
When it gets to be springtime, I start thinking about picking ripe, red garden tomatoes and fistfuls of fresh basil from my raised beds out front. Love living off the land, even though we don’t live in the country. (Just call me pioneer woman in the city.) While my tomato plants aren’t even planted yet, I found some beautiful ripe tomatoes at the farmer’s market this week.
So I needed a quick dinner tonight. And over the last few years I’ve totally fallen in love with Stonefire Whole Grain flatbreads. Naan. I love these flatbreads. They’re quick and easy.
They make a great canvas for whatever you top ’em with. Wholegrain, no artificial preservatives and a great source of fiber. Naan flatbread might be old news to you, but if not, try ’em. (And I may be your new best friend.)
I especially love making Caprese Pesto Flatbread with Naan because they’re super fast, healthy and taste great. I made this delicious Caprese Pesto Flatbread in about 15 minutes tops for dinner tonight.
Just crisp up the Naan under the broiler a few minutes. (Watch closely!)
Then spread with a simple homemade basil pesto. (Combine basil, parmesan, garlic and olive oil in the food processor.)
Top with fresh tomato rounds, then fresh mozzarella slices. Bake for 5-10 minutes on the lowest oven rack ’til crust is crispy and mozzarella is melted. Top with fresh basil strips and drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette for a great flavor pop.
Fresh and delicious: Caprese Pesto Flatbread!
Caprese Pesto Pizza
- 2 flatbreads
- fresh basil pesto
- 2 large tomatoes sliced into thin rounds
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cut in rounds
- Balsamic vinegar
- Garnish: fresh snipped basil
- Basil Pesto:
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic or more
- pepper to taste
- olive oil
- Crisp up the flatbreads on a baking sheet under the broiler in the oven for a couple minutes until just crisping.
- Watch closely!
- Remove from oven and cool.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Fresh Basil Pesto:
- Place basil leaves, garlic, parmesan and black pepper in food processor.
- Drizzle a few tablespoons of olive oil in and process.
- Add more olive oil if needed for spreadable consistency.
- Spread each flatbread with 1/2 of basil pesto mixture.
- Top with tomato rounds.
- Top with fresh mozzarella rounds.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes on lowest oven rack until flatbread is crispy and cheese is melty.
- Garnish with fresh chopped basil and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
- Serve immediately.
Related post: Cashew Basil Pesto