If you’re a chocolate mint lover like me, you’ll adore these rich Dark Chocolate Mint Brownies. First, a layer of luscious brownie with just a “hint of mint.” (Poet: me!) Then, a minty icing layer. And finally (drumroll please)…. a thin layer of bittersweet chocolate that cuts the sweet. Sophisticated. And decadent. Yes, it’s three layers. But it’s three easy layers.
I lined the pan with parchment paper first. So easy to lift the brownies out, place on a board for precise cutting after baking. (Bake this recipe in a 9″ by 9″ baking pan.)
These Dark Chocolate Mint Brownies are the perfect chocolate lover’s dessert. So here’s my recommendation: add a drop or two of green food coloring to the icing layer to make these brownies perfect for your favorite leprechauns on Saint Patty’s Day! (And let the ooh-ing and aah-ing commence…)
Dark Chocolate Mint Brownies
- 2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon mint extract
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- dash of salt
- Mint Icing:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Bittersweet Chocolate Topping:
- 1 1/2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1 generous tablespoon butter
- Melt 2 squares baking chocolate with 1/2 cup butter.
- Separately in mixing bowl, beat eggs together with granulated sugar
- Stir in melted chocolate mixture.
- Stir in 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract, flour and dash of salt.
- Pour into 9" greased baking pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees or 'til cake tester comes out clean.
- (Don't over cook!)
- Cool brownies.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter.
- Stir in powdered sugar, milk and 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract.
- Mix well and frost brownies.
- Bittersweet Chocolate:
- Melt 1 1/2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate with generous tablespoon of butter.
- Dribble over top of iced brownies, making a thin coating.
- Gently tilt pan to evenly coat all.
- Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes to harden chocolate, then cut into squares.
They look and sound delicious! Coming from you I know they must be good! Yum!
Linda Jenkins says
You make this sound so delicious. I wish I liked and could eat chocolate, but chocolate doesn’t like me. Strange how the body changes. When I was a child, I devoured chocolate. Hoping all the chocolate lovers enjoy this recipe.
Aunt pinkie achor says
Aunt Joanie used to make chocolate mint brownies – these are the best! Thanks, Allie, for this – as you say, a decadent brownie!
YES!!! This is her famous recipe!!!
Mandy @Mandy's Recipe Box says
Mmmm… I love mint with chocolate! These brownies look awesome.
Ally's Sweet & Savory Eats says
Oh what I wouldn’t give for one of these today! Just in time for St. Pattie’s Day!
Kelly @ Mostly Homemade Mom says
I love chocolate mint anything, and these look fabulous!
Sharon @ What The Fork Food Blog says
Mint brownies are one of my favs, so good!
Aida @ TheCraftingFoodie says
These look so good! I love dark chocolate, and the mint would be so perfect with it. YUM!
Meg @ The Housewife in Training Files says
That chocolate on top gets me every time! Love these!