I really do enjoy creating pretty, fancy recipes in the kitchen.
Like this Raspberry Almond Cake for my sister’s birthday. Reminds me of a Dr. Seuss, Cat in the Hat hat. 🙂 I’ll have to share the cake recipe with you soon.
But let’s talk about Mexican Shredded Chicken. While it isn’t fancy, it’s that go-to recipe I use at least every other week during winter. It’s healthy, quick, easy and cooks all day in the crockpot. And just six ingredients.
I got this recipe from one of my BFF’s, who got it from her sister, who got it from… who knows? It’s just one of those great staple recipes that keeps circulating. If you don’t have this recipe for Mexican Shredded Chicken, you need it. Layer the simple ingredients in the crockpot in the morning and forget about it all day.
It’s super versatile and makes plenty. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of shredded Mexican cheese. Or over rice. Or wrap Mexican Shredded Chicken in corn or flour tortillas, top with tomato sauce, sprinkle with cheese and bake for an easy Mexican Enchilada Casserole. Serve with chips for a substantial appetizer. Or use Mexican Shredded Chicken as a filling for soft or hard tacos. Serve atop a green salad for Mexican Shredded Chicken salad. This dish is always greatly appreciated at potlucks. You can probably think of more creative ways to use this wonderful recipe.
Mexican Shredded Chicken
- 2 cans black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can Mexican corn drained
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or beer
- 3 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 jar of your favorite salsa
- Layer first four ingredients in the crockpot in this order: black beans, corn, taco seasoning and chicken broth or beer.
- Place boneless chicken breasts on top.
- Pour jar of salsa over all.
- Cook in covered crockpot on low for eight hours.
- Just before serving, remove chicken from crockpot.
- Shred with two forks, then add back into the crockpot, gently mixing all ingredients.
- Serve hot with sour cream and shredded cheese. (More serving ideas below.)