Stars & Stripes Mascarpone Shortbread: So festive and fun! Perfect for July 4th, Labor Day and Memorial Day picnics and barbecues.
I’ve made different flag desserts before. And they’re fun.
But then I thought, wouldn’t it be really fun for each person to have their very own individual little flag shortbread bar?
And that’s when Stars & Stripes Mascarpone Shortbread came to mind.
The Scottish shortbread layer is thin, buttery and crunchy. Bake the shortbread first.
While still warm, cut it into 2 1/2 ” by 4 ” rectangles.
Cool, then frost with light and airy whipped mascarpone frosting.
Top with freshly picked summer strawberries and blueberries!
Stars & Stripes Mascarpone Shortbread is a fun, easy dessert, sure to please patriots of all ages!
Star & Stripes Mascarpone Shortbread
- 2 cups butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 cups flour
- 1 quart strawberries washed
- 1 pint blueberries washed
- Mascarpone frosting:
- 8 ounces mascarpone
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- optional: 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin dissolved in a couple teaspoons cold water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Beat butter until creamy.
- Gradually add 1 cup sugar 'til mixtures is smooth.
- Add in flour.
- Press dough with floured hands into parchment lined 12" X 16" cookie sheet.
- (Parchment makes it easy to lift the shortbread out of the pan after baking for easier, precise cutting.)
- Bake at 375° for 18 minutes or 'til golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool for ten minutes.
- While still warm, carefully lift shortbread out of the pan with the parchment paper and place on a large cutting board.
- Cut into 2 1/2 " by 4" rectangles while warm.
- When cool, frost with Mascarpone Frosting.
- Mascarpone Frosting:
- Place mascarpone, vanilla, sugar and whipping cream together in a mixing bowl.
- Optional: dissolve 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin in a couple teaspoons cold water.
- Whisk water and gelatin together and let "bloom" a minute or two.
- Add this gelatin mixture in with the other frosting ingredients.
- (Unflavored gelatin helps the light frosting hold up in the heat.)
- Beat all together just until soft peaks form.
- (Be careful not to overbeat or it will quickly turn into butter!)
- Decorate with blueberries for stars and strawberry slices for stripes.
- (I cut the strawberries in half first, then cut those into thin slices, and trim down.)
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate.
You may also enjoy: Raspberry Peach Almond Shortbread