“Soup is good food.” That’s what Campbell’s says anyway. And I agree 100%. I love a good hearty soup that eats like a meal. This is the one.
Bursting with flavor, Hearty Italian Sausage Soup makes a great meal all by itself. The Italian sausage does that. But the secret ingredient? Parmesan cheese. It ties the tomatoes and sausage together beautifully. This thick and chunky soup is perfect for frigid winter nights and will have your family coming back for seconds. It’s what’s for dinner!
Hearty Italian Sausage Soup
- 6-8 sweet Italian sausage links 1 pound or more
- 1 large onion vertically sliced (into crescents)
- 7 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon beef bouillon granules or 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 green pepper diced
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon basil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 small zucchini cubed
- 2 ounces linguine broken into 2-3 inch pieces
- 2 Tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Remove sausage from skins and cook fully in a large stockpot or Dutch oven.
- Drain off most of the fat.
- Add in sliced onion to the sausage, and sauté 'til onion is slightly soft.
- Add water, bouillon granules or cubes, tomatoes, green pepper, oregano, basil and pepper.
- Bring to a full boil, then add zucchini, linguine and parmesan cheese.
- Cover and cook until pasta is ready according to the package directions. Stir occasionally to prevent pasta from sticking. Enjoy!
Break the sausage into bite size pieces while sautéing.
This recipe makes a very generous six main dish servings.
It doubles easily, and also freezes well.
Nothing smells better than onions and sausage sautéing! Mmmmm…
We like to eat this soup with my Honey Grain Bread! (I’ll have to share that recipe soon.)
Add salad and it works perfectly for company too. We love this hearty soup. It’s been a staple and favorite of our family for many years, hope it is for yours too!
You may also like: New England Bacon Corn Chowder