This Grilled Corn, Basil & Tomato Salad brings fresh and summer straight to your next picnic, barbecue or luncheon.
So Father’s Day is just around the corner, and we were tossing around menu ideas with the resident dad in the house at the dinner table the other night.
He had just two requests: the delicious salad featured today and Maple Glazed Ribs. Great choices!
So we’re taking a picnic somewhere coastal on Sunday, TBD. It’s gotta be near the water, because Sunday’s forecast is hot, and we’re needing some wind. So can you keep a secret?
The boys and I are giving him… drumroll… a new kite for Father’s Day! A fun one that dives, with tails. He doesn’t generally read my recipe posts, so if you won’t spill the beans (hint hint) it’ll be a fun surprise! And I sure hope we get some wind.
So tender farm stand corn hasn’t arrived in New England yet. (Heck, the strawberries are barely here.) But a girl can dream.
And I’m dreaming big time, because this salad is just incredible with freshly picked sweet corn and garden ripe summer tomatoes. Grilled Corn, Basil & Tomato Salad is the perfect go-to side dish for all your summer entertaining.
Sweet, fresh-picked, grilled corn is so tender and flavorful. (Or steam if you like.)
Add snipped fresh basil and garden ripe tomatoes. Don’t forget the feta! (Love feta!)
Grilled Corn, Basil & Tomato Salad: the perfect side salad with barbecue, ribs, burgers or doggies off the grill. Imagine fresh, sweet corn with the basil and garden ripe tomatoes.
The basil and feta tie all the flavors together beautifully. This is a simple salad you’ll make again and again. No leftovers on this one. Serve as a side dish. Or spoon on a bed of greens and add grilled chicken for a colorful and flavorful main dish meal.
Yields 4 servings
Grilled Corn, Basil and Tomato Salad brings fresh and flavorful straight to your next picnic, barbecue or luncheon.
15 minPrep Time
8 minCook Time
23 minTotal Time
- 4 ears fresh corn, husked
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for grilling corn
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 medium roma tomatoes, chopped ( or 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, chopped)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Brush ears of corn with olive oil.
- Roast corn on the grill, turning often until desired doneness. (about 5-7 minutes)
- (Steam the corn if you prefer.)
- Cool corn, cut from cobs.
- Whisk 1/4 cup olive oil and 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar in a medium bowl to blend.
- Stir in corn, tomatoes, feta and chopped basil.
- Toss to coat.
Add more chopped basil if desired.
Another side you’ll enjoy: Avocado Lime Black Bean Dip