A simple but delicious recipe for a great veggie side today: Brown Butter Almond Green Beans. Perfect weeknight side or alongside the Thanksgiving bird. These are crisp-tender beans with crunchy buttered almonds.
The weather’s finally cooling down around here in New Hampshire. And while I love the summery feel of early fall, when November hits it’s a little anti-climactic having seventy degree temps. That’s just not tights weather. And if it’s not tights weather, well it’s just not fall in my book…
Have you ever seen one of these green bean teepees before? Friends of ours grew the one above. Isn’t it the coolest? So I want to grow one someday. It’s perfect, especially if you have limited gardening space like we do.
Fun for the kids too, and a nice way to catch some shade, don’t you think? (This is from the inside, looking up.)
With fall comes more root vegetables in our diet and all things apple, pumpkin and spice. But as the days shorten and darken, it’s cheery (and healthy) to keep some bright greens on the dinner plate. Enter these Brown Butter Toasted Almond Green Beans.
My mom often made green beans w/toasted almonds for us growing up, usually with Sunday dinner after church.
We enjoy them around here at our house too. Not to be bossy or anything, but please steam these green beans. Don’t boil them. They should be tender-crisp and a vibrant green. I know you’ve been wondering about this: but one of my biggest kitchen pet peeves is boiling veggies to death. ‘Til they’re limp and colorless. Should be a crime, punishable by law. Maybe that’s just me. But I sure do love bright veggies with a little snap left in them!
So how many green beans to buy? I usually buy about 1/4 pound per person. A little trick when picking green beans in the produce section: put one handful into the bag per person.
These Brown Butter Almond Green Beans are quick to prepare and delicious alongside meat, poultry and pasta.
Delicious and easy steamed green beans, drenched in brown butter and toasted almonds. Sprinkled with sea salt.
10 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1 1/2 pounds washed green beans, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- sea salt
- Melt butter in a small skillet for several minutes on medium-low heat.
- As butter melts and begins to darken slightly, add sliced almonds.
- When almonds are just turning golden, remove from heat.
- Place prepared green beans in colander over boiling water and steam, covered, for 5-10 minutes.
- When green beans are still bright green, barely fork tender, remove from heat.
- Drain and place in serving dish.
- Pour browned butter and toasted almonds over the green beans.
- Sprinkle lightly with sea salt.
- Serve immediately.
Try these too! Honey Roasted Dill Carrots