My valentine and Valentine’s Day are on my mind. Sure do love my valentine. We go way back. I mean waaaaaaaay back, like all the way back to pay phones. (!) Practically grew up together.
We’ve celebrated a lot of Valentine’s Days, and by far the most memorable ones have been those we stayed in, didn’t fight the crowds or hire a sitter. Just a special evening at home, a good menu, great company, maybe a good flick.
So here’s a THLG Valentine Dinner In menu, thought you might like to join in on the fun with friends, family or your sweetheart. Since Valentine’s Day is on Saturday this year, you may have a little extra weekend time to pull things together. The menu is simple, colorful and delectable!
Today I’m sharing the recipe for Sesame Beef & Red Peppers w/Roasted Asparagus. Tomorrow I’ll post the recipe for a gorgeous and elegant dessert, perfect for Valentine’s Day: a stunning Chocolate Raspberry Tart.
I chose this particular Valentine Dinner In menu because it tastes great and you can make it in stages. Make the Chocolate Raspberry Tart a day or two ahead, then brush with raspberry jam and top with fresh raspberries before serving. Work ahead on the Sesame Beef & Red Peppers w/Roasted Asparagus: brown the meat, make the marinade, cook the rice and slice the peppers. I love to make a meal in stages: it lessens the cooking time on special occasions, letting me spend more relaxed time with the people I love.
Sesame Beef & Red Peppers w/Roasted Asparagus over brown rice with Oven Roasted Asparagus
And this stunning Chocolate Raspberry Tart for dessert!
I’d love to hear about your Valentine’s Day celebration plans and traditions, and do let me know how you like the menu!
Sesame Beef and Red Peppers
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 pound boneless New York strip steak thinly sliced
- 2 red bell peppers ribs and seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds toasted
- cooked brown rice for serving
- optional: thinly sliced scallion greens for serving
- Separately, cook brown rice, according to pkg. directions.
- In a small bowl combine soy sauce, sherry, sugar, vinegar, red-pepper flakes and cornstarch.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat.
- In two batches, cook meat, undisturbed, until browned on only one side, about 2 minutes per batch.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Add 1 teaspoon oil and bell peppers to skillet and cook, stirring, until peppers are crisp-tender, 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds.
- Whisk soy sauce mixture and add to skillet, along with steak.
- Cook, stirring, until sauce thickens, 1 minute.
- Stir in toasted sesame seeds.
- To serve: spoon beef mixture over rice and top with scallion greens if desired.
Oven Roasted Asparagus:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Wash, dry and trim asparagus.
Place asparagus on baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
Roast on top oven rack for 10-15 minutes, turning once.