This Easy Neapolitan Ice Cream Sandwich Cake Recipe is fast fast fast to make. And it disappears just as quickly too. Layer ice cream and drizzled fudge sauce between ice cream sandwich layers and you’re good to go! Say goodbye to expensive store bought ice cream cakes this summer.
When the heat wave of summertime finally hits hard, you’ll be glad to have this simple and refreshing Easy Neapolitan Ice Cream Sandwich Cake Recipe in your back pocket! We’ve had a cold, wet and rainy spring so far, but the temps this week are forecasted in the nineties. Time to break out the ice cream cake!!! You won’t even need to turn on your oven.
My kids have always loved ice cream cakes as far back as I can remember. Me too! I remember having an ice cream cake for my birthday a few times through the years. But have you checked the price of an ice cream cake from Friendly’s, Carvel or the grocery store freezer lately?
They aren’t cheap. In fact, you’ll pay top dollar for an ice cream cake. If you think about it, the ingredients are basically cake and ice cream and shouldn’t be any more expensive than a traditional cake with a scoop of ice cream on the side.
A few summers ago I put together an ice cream cake by layering ice cream sandwiches and then “frosting” with Cool Whip. (I found the simple recipe on the Kraft web site.)
The cool thing is (pun intended), the ice cream sandwiches make easy ice cream “cake” layers all on their own.
So last weekend when it was Charlie’s eleventh birthday, he requested an ice cream sandwich cake. In fact, he requested TWO! (Now there’s an opportunist for you.) He wanted one to bring to school for his friends and one for his at-home birthday party celebration. I didn’t mind making two because they are seriously so simple to make.
And since I know he loves chocolate and strawberry ice cream, I added layers of those too to make this Easy Neapolitan Ice Cream Sandwich Cake Recipe. I could have sprinkled crushed Oreos or even added fresh sliced strawberries in between the layers. I didn’t do that this time around, but if you’re feeling adventurous, go for it.
Tips to make an Easy Neapolitan Ice Cream Sandwich Cake Recipe:
- Use parchment paper and a 9 X 13 metal baking pan with sides, and form your cake against one corner/side of the pan.
- Thaw Cool Whip in refrigerator for six hours ahead of time. (Carefully follow the directions on the package: absolutely do not thaw on countertop and do not stir.)
- Once you’ve assembled your ice cream sanwich cake, allow plenty of time to freeze firm before serving.
Easy Neapolitan Ice Cream Sandwich Cake Recipe
- 18 vanilla and chocolate ice cream sandwiches
- 1 pint chocolate ice cream slightly softened
- 1 pint strawberry ice cream slightly softened
- 10 chocolate sandwich cookies like Oreos, coarsely broken
- 1 small jar hot fudge sauce slightly warmed
- 1-16 oz. container non-dairy whipped topping like Cool Whip
- Line a 9 X 13" metal baking pan with parchment paper.
- Place 6 ice cream sandwiches in a row, against a corner.
- Layer with softened chocolate ice cream.
- Drizzle with slightly warmed hot fudge sauce.
- Add another six ice cream sandwiches on top.
- Layer with softened strawberry ice cream.
- Drizzle with more hot fudge sauce.
- Top with a final layer of remaining ice cream sandwiches.
- "Frost" with thawed Cool Whip.
- Freeze until firm.
- Use spatulas to transfer ice cream cake to freezer safe serving platter.
- Drizzle with hot fudge if desired.
- Sprinkle with crushed oreos pieces.
- Freeze until firm, then cover lightly with foil until serving.
- Remove from freezer and let sit out a few minutes before cutting into slices.
You may also like: Fudgy Grasshopper Ice Cream Pie
Kelsie | the itsy-bitsy kitchen says
Charlie is one smart kid! I’d ask for two too :). This looks so delicious! And dangerously easy to make! Have a great afternoon Allie
I LOVE ice cream sandwiches! Thanks for this delicious and easy recipe, Allie!
Louise Achor says
What a great idea!
Luci's Morsels says
This recipe is too fun! It’s definitely getting me excited for summer!
Luci’s Morsels | fashion. food. frivolity.
Susie Mandel says
Wowee zowee–what a creation!! And Charlie IS one smart kid. 😉
Perfect for birthdays…….. and hot days!!! Especially for days like today! Boy is it hottttt!!!!!! This looks yummy and is just fun to make and eat I’m sure! What an awesome way to make a cake ?
Waouh! comme ce dessert est gourmand! Quelle belle création,bisous Allie,belle journée!
Whoa! As this dessert is greedy! What a beautiful creation, kisses Allie, beautiful day!
SO easy, decadent AND impressive! The spring heat wave has struck and this beauty would hit the spot!!
Ice cream sandwiches are my favorite. Thanks for sharing such an awesome recipe Allie.
Kathy @ Beyond the Chicken Coop says
What a fun ice cream cake! I love how you’ve used the ice cream bars! Very clever 🙂
Nisha @ Honey, What's Cooking says
Such a great twist. I remember eating ice-cream sandwiches as a kid, it was my favorite along with the snickers bars. So good!
Stopping back to let you know that I loved All the Light You Cannot See! Nightingale was good, too. Exit West was great for discussion , but not my favorite! I’m going to share our book club book list with you—you might find a new one or two to put on your reading list 🙂
This recipe looks so easy and gorgeous! Yours kids must be so happy with this! Quelle gourmandise Allie! xo
bubble am says
These foods are good for health and also provide energy for the body. Your article is great and I can share more experiences.
Really awesome baking process and so easy to prepare it. You have really done a nice job. As you have shared the best things for me. Even this recipes can be made in busy time also. It’s really special for me. thanks for sharing it here on this site.
Your creations are always so stunning. Love the gorgeous layers and all those strawberries!