Easy Turkey Beef Chili is a favorite at our house in the colder months. I like it because it’s easy, nutritious and everyone’s happy at the dinner table. This is a milder, sweet chili, perfect after a day on the slopes or building snowmen.
Add a little hot sauce to pack heat and choose the chili seasoning packet according to what you like. Don’t laugh or throw tomatoes, but we’re mild chili people at our house, so we use a mild chili seasoning packet. This is also a mildly sweet chili, with a little bit of brown sugar to cut the spice. You can add the brown sugar or leave it out.
I’ve made this recipe for years and I like it for a few reasons. One, I use half ground turkey and half ground beef. This cuts some of the fat, but none of the flavor. In fact my family doesn’t even know I sub in half ground turkey and I’m not exactly going to start revealing secrets now….
Another reason I really like this Easy Turkey Beef Chili is that it’s so quick and easy to make. I can have dinner on the table in less than half an hour. It also doesn’t take many ingredients, and the chili hot beans really contribute great flavor. I found the chili hot beans in the Mexican section at the grocery store, FYI.
Another reason I love this recipe is it doubles and triples easily, and is the perfect and easy main dish for parties. Easy Turkey Beef Chili can be heated in the slow cooker once the beef is browned, and I’ll often double the recipe. Extra chili freezes perfectly for another meal.
Brown the ground turkey and ground beef in a large soup pot or Dutch oven. Drain off the fat. Then add the rest of the ingredients and simmer over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or longer. Serve steaming hot with a dollop of sour cream and chopped fresh cilantro. Cornbread and a green salad round out a great meal.
Easy Turkey Beef Chili
- 2 cans chili hot beans
- 2 cans stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/8 cup brown sugar
- 1 chili seasoning packet use what you prefer, mild, medium or hot
- a few splashes worcestershire sauce
- Optional: stir in a few drops of Tabasco pepper sauce for a little heat.
- Optional garnishes: sour cream or Greek yogurt chopped fresh cilantro, avocado slices.
- In Dutch oven or large soup pot and over high heat, brown ground turkey and ground beef.
- Drain off fat.
- Add remaining ingredients to pot.
- Stir in chili seasoning packet and splashes of worcestershire sauce.
- Stir in optional splashes of Tabasco pepper sauce.
- Simmer over low heat for 15-20 minutes or longer.
- Serve hot with dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt, chopped fresh cilantro and avocado slices.
You may also like: Juicy Grilled Turkey & Beef Burgers