Arroz Caldo is chicken rice soup, a staple in the Philippines. (And our house too.) The key to the excellent flavor of this Arroz Caldo is fresh ginger.
Hi friends, I hope you’re doing well today! I was planning to bake for the blog today. But I’ve got this Arroz Caldo on my mind instead and I’ll tell you why. If you follow along here you know I have four boys. My littlest, Hudson, has Down syndrome. He’s cute as a button and generous in so many ways. He share hugs, smiles, toys and even cookies.
Unfortunately for me, he also shares germs. And now I have his latest cold. So instead of baking today, I’m making this delicious soup instead. I just texted Jon to bring home the ingredients I still need – chicken, fresh ginger and chicken broth. Because I absolutely must have this Arroz Caldo when I’m sick. Seriously, I crave it!!! This is an outstanding soup and I hope you’ll try it too.
So I first posted Arroz Caldo when I had all of about seven subscribers here. Yeah. So I thought perhaps the rest of you should know about it too. It’s one of the easier soups to make in my recipe box. Not too many ingredients and so aromatic and flavorful.
Arroz Caldo is chicken rice soup, a staple in the Philippines. (And our house too.) The key to the excellent flavor of this Arroz Caldo is fresh ginger. The name Arroz Caldo literally means “rice porridge” or “rice soup.” I’m sharing this recipe today because it’s a quick, nourishing meal if you’re sick or to boost your immunities.
It’s so flavorful and my entire family prefers it to a traditional chicken and rice soup. Aromatic, pungent and spicy, ginger has many health benefits including anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. But mostly, we just love how this soup tastes.
Flavorful chicken and rice main dish soup. Fresh ginger adds zing, spice and health benefits.Your whole family will enjoy this excellent soup.
20 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons fresh peeled ginger, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 4 uncooked boneless chicken breasts, cut in 1 inch cubes
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 1 cup rice, already cooked
- 1 teaspoon salt
- dash white pepper
- splash lemon juice - 1-2 tablespoons (to taste)
- splash white wine - 1-2 tablespoons (to taste)
- lemon wedges and chopped green onions for garnish (optional)
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, sauté the chopped onion and ginger in butter or olive oil.
- Add the uncooked chicken cubes and cook over low heat until chicken is cooked and tender.
- Add chicken broth and cooked rice.
- Season with the teaspoon salt, dash white pepper, lemon juice and white wine.
- Simmer gently for twenty minutes.
- Garnish bowls of soup with a lemon wedge and a sprinkle of chopped green onion.
Does it bother your eyes to chop onions? I wear ski goggles. (Yup, I really do!)
Before chopping the ginger, remove the skin.Use the edge of a spoon with a gentle scraping motion to peel it off.
This recipe tastes great with crusty bread and a green salad.
You may also like: Hearty Italian Sausage Soup