Bakery Lemon and Poppy Seed Muffins
Tender, bakery-style lemon poppy seed muffins with crunchy, sugary crackly tope. Made with fresh lemon juice, lemon zest and almond extract.
- 1 1/2 cups sifted flour
- 1 1/8 cups sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon zest
- Optional: 2 tablespoons white sparkling sugar
Combine flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in mixing bowl
Mix well with fork.
Stir in beaten egg, milk, oil, vanilla extract, almond extract, poppy seeds and lemon zest.
Do not overmix.
Distribute batter evenly into muffin tin.
Optional: sprinkle muffin tops with white sparkling sugar.
Bake at 325° for 30 - 35 minutes until muffin crowns are just turning golden and tops are crackly.