Mandarin Orange Candied Almond Salad
Candied almonds combine w/sweet mandarins, red onion & a sweet spicy dressing for a delicious, colorful and addictive salad. This disappears fast!
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon sugar or honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce Tobasco, etc.
- 1 bunch red leaf lettuce torn into bite size pieces
- 1 - 11 ounce can mandarin oranges drained
- 1 small red onion sliced thin
- Fresh mandarin slices or parsley sprigs
In small skillet, heat 3 tablespoons sugar over low heat until completely melted.
Add almonds, stirring until well coated.
Transfer to parchment paper to cool.
Break candied almonds into small pieces and set aside.
In small mason jar, combine vinegar, parsley, salt, pepper, hot pepper sauce and sugar. (or maple syrup or honey)
Shake jar well to combine.
Just before serving, combine torn lettuce, mandarin oranges, red onion and candied almonds in large serving bowl.
Shake dressing well and pour over salad.
Toss and serve immediately.