Homemade Italian Meatballs
Savory, tender Italian meatballs with fresh garlic, parmesan, flat leaf parsley in a delicious simmered tomato sauce.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves crushed garlic divided
- 1 onion diced
- 1, 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1, 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound 85% lean ground beef
- or a mixture of 8 ounces 85% lean ground beef and 8 ounces ground turkey
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Heat olive oil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
Add chopped onions and 2 cloves of crushed garlic.
Sautee 'til translucent.
Stir in tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, salt and pepper.
Cover and let simmer on low for 15 minutes.
Put ground beef in a mixing bowl along with 2 cloves crushed garlic, bread crumbs, egg, chopped parsley and parmesan cheese.
Combine with your hands or a fork.
Form into tablespoon size meatballs with hands or a 1 tablespoon cookie scoop.
Carefully add meatballs into the simmering sauce.
Cover and continue simmering for 15 - 20 minutes until thoroughly cooked and meat is no longer pink inside.
Season to taste with additional salt and pepper as needed.
Serve hot over spaghetti, pasta or on sub rolls as a meatball sub.